The Four Powers tarot spread helps you look to the future. This spread can be read in multiple ways depending on where you need the most guidance.
Original Tarot spread by Darren Shill
Deck pictured: Modern Witch Tarot by Lisa Sterle (buy in USA| buy in Canada | buy from rest of world)
This spread can be read in several ways, but we’ll start with the simplest. Its perspective is of the present and into the future. Have a clear idea of how far ahead you are looking before shuffling.
- THE PATH. Where are you called to tread?
- WHAT LIES ACROSS. The obstacles and challenges that will arise.
- TO KNOW. What will be learnt or how will your knowledge be best applied?
- TO DARE. In what way will you need to go beyond yourself and express courage?
- TO WILL. Where should you place your focus and intent? How will you need to express determination?
- TO KEEP SILENT. In what way will you need have restraint or refrain?
Alternative Reading: The Cunning Path
Shuffle and select cards 1 and 2 as above. Now you must make a choice:
If you want this reading to give you guidance on The Path (card #1), draw the cards in ascending order starting with #3. Consider the perspective they offer. (This is called the ‘deosil’ order.)
If you want this reading to give you guidance on the obstacle in ‘What Lies Across’ (card #2), draw your cards in reverse order – 6, 5, 4, 3. Using this ‘widdershins’ order will help you to unwind the hurdles you face.
Light a black candle to harness the power of fire to destroy your obstacle . . . but remember, sometimes we need challenges in order to grow.
What do you think of this spread? Let us know in the comments or find us on Instagram!